- User experience will become more essential than ever in 2017
By Nigel Vaz (Jan 13, 2017)
Go to Campaign
- "Many organisations are, therefore, reimagining their businesses around the customer journey and are taking a closer look through this lens at the functional and emotional experience."
- "By thinking of UX as not just what is on a screen but as an integral part of the customer experience and the defining aspect of a brand, companies can offer the integration of personalised interactions, useful products and fitting services that current and future consumers expect."
- UX Trends Microsoft UX Lead Hopes to See in 2017, Part 2
By Joseph Dickerson (Jan 10, 2017)
Go to Content Science Review
- "Accessibility and Inclusive Design become mainstream"
- "A greater understanding of (our own) bias"
- U.S. Access Board Updates Requirements for Information and Communication Technology
by Timothy Creagan (Jan 12, 2017)
Go to GAATES
- "The Access Board has released a final rule that updates accessibility requirements for information and communication technology (ICT) in the federal sector covered by Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act."
- "The updated requirements specify the technologies covered and provide both performance-based and technical requirements for hardware, software, and support documentation and services. Access is addressed for all types of disabilities, including those pertaining to vision, hearing, color perception, speech, cognition, manual dexterity, and reach."
- DOJ Says It Can’t Intervene in ADA Demand Letters
By ICBA (Jan 17, 2017)
Go to ICBA
- "The Justice Department declined ICBA’s request to intervene in unethical demand letters from plaintiff’s attorneys to community banks alleging that their websites do not comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act."
- "The DOJ said formal guidance remains on its regulatory agenda, though the department has said it isn’t planning to finalize its ADA standards until 2018."
- 2017 Predictions for Web Accessibility: The Start of This Decade’s Great Inclusive Initiative
By Christina Throndson (Jan 2017)
Go to HomeCare
- "Even though the government has stated that they will not enforce web accessibility until 2018, this does not protect your business from litigation."
- "Just as we now easily notice when a brick and mortar business is not wheelchair accessible, it will be clear which websites are accessible and which are not. You may start to see this in the form of an identifier similar to the padlock for secure websites."
- The technology sector could make or break disability inclusion
By Catherine Cheney (Jan 9, 2017)
Go to Devex
- "One of the criticisms of the technology industry is that, by focusing on products and platforms, it has forgotten about people. Advocates for disability rights are adding that they want to see a greater commitment to disability inclusion in product development as well as global development."
- "As Silicon Valley continues to emerge as a key partner to the global development community, the technology sector could make or break the future of disability inclusion and strike a blow against the unequal treatment of people with disabilities."
Blind Customers and the Committee Reach Settlement with Sweetgreen, Inc. to Ensure Its Online Ordering System is Accessible
By Matthew Handley (Jan 19, 2017)
Go to Washington Lawyers' Committee
- "Sweetgreen, Inc. has reached an agreement with customers Tajuan Farmer and Mika Pyyhkala to make its online ordering portal and mobile application accessible to talking screen readers used by the blind."
ACSA Superintendents' Symposium
Feb 2017Go to ACSA
ABA National Conference for Community Bankers
Feb 2017Go to ABA
Google Adds Details On Accessibility
By Shaun Heasley (Jan 17, 2017)
Go to Disability Scoop
- "Alongside information about a business’s hours, telephone number and address, the search giant is now including details about whether or not the location has a wheelchair-accessible entrance."
- "For the most part, our users submit feedback on whether a place has an accessible entrance, and once enough data is gathered, we’re able to note that a particular location has a wheelchair accessible entrance"
Help us improve the Guardian website's accessibility
Jan 21, 2017
Go to The Guardian
- "Guardian Digital are interested in speaking to people who have accessibility needs and who could help us improve our online products."